Post-operative radiotherapy in patients with early stage cervical cancer

Raquel Dávila Fajardo, Rob Van Os, Marrije R. Buist, Lon Uitterhoeve, Anneke M. Westermann, Gemma G. Kenter, Coen R.N. Rasch, Lukas J.A. Stalpers

Onderzoeksoutput: Bijdrage aan tijdschriftArtikelpeer review

20 Citaten (Scopus)


Objective The aim of this study is to investigate the impact of treatment policy changes in cervical cancer patients treated with adjuvant (chemo) radiotherapy. Methods Between 1970 and 2007, 292 patients received adjuvant radiotherapy after a radical hysterectomy with pelvic lymphadenectomy for early stage cervical carcinoma. All patients received pelvic radiotherapy (40 Gy-46 Gy in 1.8 Gy-2 Gy/fraction). Vaginal vault brachytherapy boost (10-14 Gy) was increasingly used for patients with high-risk factors, and since 1993 systematically applied in patients with at least 2 of the 3 risk factors: adenocarcinoma, nodal involvement and parametrial invasion. Cisplatin-based chemotherapy was introduced in this group of patients from 2000. Results The 5-year cumulative risk of local recurrence (CRLR) was 13% (95%CI 9%-17%), resulting in an overall 5-year survival (OS) of 78% (95%CI 83%-73%). Since 1970, the OR for the 5-year locoregional recurrence risk (LRR) decreased from 2.5 to 1.15 (linear-OR = - 0.02/year). The OR for the 5-year mortality risk reduced from 2.2 in 1970 to 1.0 in 2007 (linear-OR = - 0.03/year). The largest risk reductions were observed before 1990 with a minor rise after 2002. The risk of severe late toxicity reduced from 1.8% to 1.5% (linear-OR = - 0.03/year). The addition of concomitant adjuvant chemotherapy since 2000 may have benefited a subgroup of patients with squamous cell carcinoma, but not the patients with adenocarcinoma, and after introduction of chemotherapy the risk of severe late toxicity tripled from 2% to 7%. Conclusion Since 1970, tumour recurrence risk and mortality have decreased, as radiation dose increased. The potential benefit of concomitant adjuvant chemotherapy could not be demonstrated in this nonrandomized study.

Originele taal-2Engels
Pagina's (van-tot)52-59
Aantal pagina's8
TijdschriftGynecologic Oncology
Nummer van het tijdschrift1
StatusGepubliceerd - jul. 2014
Extern gepubliceerdJa


Duik in de onderzoeksthema's van 'Post-operative radiotherapy in patients with early stage cervical cancer'. Samen vormen ze een unieke vingerafdruk.

Citeer dit